Back up your data
From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
Revision as of 21:20, 13 November 2006 by Sam uk
What to back up?
- "/home" holds most of the personal configuration files
- "/root" holds the changes you have made as root.
- Back up any other configuration files that you have modified, for example:
- "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (X configuration file)
- "/etc/apt/sources.list" (apt sources file)
- "/boot/grub/menu.lst" (Grub menu file)
- It's a good idea to save in "/home" directory a file that contains the list of programs that you installed with apt-get or KPackage. If you need to reinstall you'll just have to paste the names of the files to an "apt-get install" command.
- Alternatively, you can save an inventory of packages on your system with:
dpkg --get-selections >list_packages.txt
To reinstall ALL those packages at once:
dpkg --set-selections <list_packages.txt apt-get update apt-get upgrade