From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
ClamAV anti-virus is free, opensource and easy to install, so you may want to use it on your Linux box to scan files for infections by various pest permeating the Windows world. While viruses are not a real concern in Linux, you may still want to limit inbound nonsense email traffic created by viruses or help some of your friends who happen to use Windows.
ClamAV is in the repositories and can be installed using Synaptic. However you have to enable the volatile repository which is not enabled by default. Anti-virus software needs quick updates to be able to find quickly evolving viruses and the volatile repository is a place for such packages. In Synaptic, go to Settings --> Repositories, select line containing volatile and press OK. Then press Reload button to fetch enlarged selection of packages and search for clamav. For first tests, install clamav and clamav-freshclam packages.
Basic usage from command line
Update virus description database (as root):
Then scan a directory containing files from Windows:
clamscan -r /location/of/files 2 > scan-errlog | tee scan-log
The recursive option -r makes it scan subdirectories, and tee saves the results while also showing them on screen. Report may end with something like:
----------- SCAN SUMMARY ----------- Known viruses: 678708 Engine version: 0.95.3 Scanned directories: 5961 Scanned files: 76934 Infected files: 1 Data scanned: 31150.10 MB Data read: 29141.68 MB (ratio 1.07:1) Time: 4335.571 sec (72 m 15 s)
To inspect the results, use e.g.:
fgrep -v OK scan-log |fgrep -v Empty
This will likely show you just the real problems. (If you happen to see 'ClamAV engine is outdated' in scan-errlog, take seriously the 'volatile' hint above.)
Related Mepis Wiki Links
- Antivirus -- Mepis Wiki antivirus page.
- chkrootkit -- command line tool that checks for rootkits on local system.
- rkhunter -- command line rootkit and vulnerability scanning tool.
- RootKit Detector -- Mepis Wiki Rootkit Detector Page.
- Mepis Wiki General Knowledge Database -- Security section of the general knowledge database Mepis Wiki page.
- Mepis Wiki Linux Software -- Security section of the linux software Mepis Wiki page.
- Mepis Wiki: ICDL Using a Computer Chapter 4. Viruses
Other Related Resources
- Clam AntiVirus Homepage
- ClamAV Manual
- ClamAV Wiki
- KlamAV Homepage -- a graphical user interface front end to ClamAV that serves as an anti-virus manager for the KDE desktop.
- ClamAV and KlamAV Wikipedia
- ClamTk Homepage -- a graphical user interface front end to ClamAV based on ?gtk2-perl.
- Avast! Linux Home Edition Homepage
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Homepage
- Avira AntiVir Personal Homepage
- F-PROT Antivirus for Linux Workstations Homepage
- XFProt Homepage
- XFProt Ubuntu Wiki Documentation
- Linux Malware Detect Hompage
- Linux Malware Detect Wiki
- chkrootkit Homepage
- chkrootkit Wikipedia Page
- Rootkit Hunter (rkhunter) Homepage -- Site of current project.
- Old rkhunter Webpage
- rkhunter Wikipedia Entry