Make Media players work
From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
!!! Warning! The info contained in this article pertains to older versions of MEPIS !!!
Due to licensing issues MEPIS cannot directly distribute all necessary components to play some proprietary formats out of the box. However, it has been set up in such a way that you can easily fix this.
You will notice that there are considerably less steps to completing this process if you use the command line method. The Graphical instructions are included below for those who are reluctant to use the command line.
Command line way
2. Type the following, pressing <enter> after every line:
su Your root password kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
3. Cut and paste the following into the bottom of the file window that just popped up:
For SimplyMEPIS 6.0 and 6.5, use these packages:
# Some multimedia packages not available elsewhere (packages may be restricted in your jurisdiction) deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ dapper free non-free
# BACKPORTS REPOSITORY (Unsupported. Use at own risk.) deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
For SimplyMEPIS 7.0 and above, use the stable multimedia packages.
# Current Debian Stable release # NOTE: MEPIS 7.0 uses the Etch release; MEPIS 8.0 uses the Lenny release. Replace # stable with Etch or Lenny below if you wish. deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main
See http://debian-multimedia.org/ for details about Debian specific releases (MEPIS 3 series, MEPIS 7, MEPIS 8).
4. Click on the floppy 'save' icon.
5. In the command line cut and paste the following lines:
apt-get install libmad0 libavifile-0.7c2 lame lame-extras w32codecs libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 apt-get install libdvdplay0 libdvdread3 dvdrtools dvdbackup dvdauthor transcode vamps k9copy
- start Synaptic (package manager) and enter root password
- Click on Settings>Repositories
- Click on 'New'
- Fill in the boxes as below;
5. Click OK
Repeat this process filling in these lines:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
6. Click on the button RELOAD and wait until the updated list is downloaded (this should not last long).
7. Now click SEARCH and find each package
libmad0 (libmad and then a zero) libavifile-0.7c2 lame lame-extras w32codecs libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 libdvdplay0 libdvdread3 dvdrtools dvdbackup dvdauthor transcode vamps k9copy
8. On the package name, right click and 'mark for upgrade'.
9. When you finish selecting all packages, hit the APPLY button and wait for the packages to be upgraded.
10. Close synaptic and you're done.
To Get video streams working in Firefox
2. Type the following, pressing enter after every line:
su Your root password kwrite /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
3. Set these options all like below
enable-smil=1 enable-helix=1 enable-rm=1 enable-mpeg=1 enable-ogg=1 enable-wmp=1 enable-qt=1 enable-gmp=1
Other minor mplayer fixes
Type the following, pressing enter after every line:
su Your root password kwrite /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Set these options like below: