From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
NoMachine NX is a Terminal Server and Remote Access solution based on a comprising set of enterprise class open source technologies. Thanks to the outstanding compression, session resilience and resource management developed on top of the X-Window system, and the integration with the powerful audio, printing and resource sharing capabilities of the Unix world, NoMachine NX makes it possible to run any graphical application on any operating system across any network connection as if you were sitting in front of your computer. (from nomachine site)
NX Server installation
- To install it download nxclient, nxnode, and nxserver packages from this Nomachine site
- Install the downloaded packages with: "dpkg -i *.deb" or by using Kpackage.
- You also need to install openssh-server package with apt-get or Synaptic
Starting a session
You can run the NX client from:K Menu --> Internet --> NX Client for Linux --> NX Client for Linux or directly from:
You can connect to an NX server by specifying the server IP address and using the username and password on that system, make sure the firewall doesn't block port 22 and make sure the sshd is running on the server machine, if not you can start it with:
To make sure it starts every time you boot run this command:
update-rc.d ssh defaults
NX Server control
The NX server should start at boot up, you can stop it with this command:
You can permanently remove it from starting with this command:
update-rc.d -f nxserver remove
You can still start it manually with this command:
If the fonts appear in different colors and they look unclear you can try this:
- Go to "Configure" on the NX client
- Select "use custom settings"
- Click "Modify" and select "Disable the render extension"
- Make sure your firewall doesn't block the port that your server uses (port 22 if you encrypt the session)
- NX Server generally uses port 22 for the initial authentication and connection and later data transfer during the session happens on another port. So in the firewall, if the port for this data transfer is not open, the session will terminate. To avoid this, you can have the data transfer happen through SSH as well. This is configured in the client by going to Configure->Advanced and making sure that the checkbox is not checked for "Disable SSL encryption of all traffic".
- Your computer should have either a real IP address, or if it uses NAT, you have to forward the port used by the remote access programs to the local IP address assigned to your computer.
- Make sure that your IP address doesn't change, if you don't have control over it, try the free Dynamic DNS service offered by dyndns.com
Fix for MEPIS 6.x
- Fix needed for using it on MEPIS 6.x: edit /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg file and add the below line (if using version 3.0 or above, you should replace AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X with AgentExtraOptions):
AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X = "-fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
nxserver default font 'fixed' possible solution. Since I upgraded to Edgy I have been unable to long into my box at home from work via NX.
After banging my head against this problem for a good few hours (and reading some related threads on here) I think I may have come across the solution.
You may not need to do all of these steps but it shouldn't hurt you to repeat them.
sudo apt-get install xfs sudo apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-base
I didn't seem to have xfs installed.
Now in /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg locate the line:
#AGENT_FONT_SERVER = "unix/:7100"
and uncomment it.
Worked for me, hopefully it will for someone else.